domingo, febrero 11, 2007

practical/philosophical question

is there anything I can actually do to help out with Iraq, or Somalia, or Darfur, or Tibet...?

I'm getting sick of hearing about situations overseas, year after year, and always thinking vaguely that there is something I could be doing. let's consider:

1. write letters to congress or somewhere. sounds very unrewarding. I doubt that would change anything, despite what activist ppls advocate....
2. donate money. sounds unrewarding too. I know that anything I can give is a literal drop in a bucket, compared to what is needed. also, there are sooooo many places that could use donations, just thinking about it is mind-boggling.
3. pray? I heard Pope John Paul used to pray for 7 hours a day. that's a serious use of his time resources - he must have thought it to be a good use of time.
4. make carepacks with a note; just let people know that someone is thinking about them...?

I think the last one speaks to wanting to personally touch the situation, which seems to be more the point than anything for me. looking at it that way, it seems like such an american thing - the exact reason why we're so unpopular anyway, thinking we're justified in poking our noses in....... yet it sounds kind to me - hmmmmmmm.... maybe I'll check out some of the yoga ppls thoughts on this....

YIKES -boring!!!

meanwhile, I've been out shopping this weekend for plants for my classroom and Valentine's gifts for my class (I'm going to bake individual heart-shaped treats with their name on it!), trying to make it a special place for all of us. many of my kids are in pretty serious poverty; maybe just trying to create a safe and nurturing place and going around trying to get better coats for them and the suchlike that I do, is my bit of helping this planet......

any thoughts....?

2 comentarios:

Feisty Frida dijo...

I sometimes feel consumed with thoughts of "we should be doing more"...when it comes to me and my family, I feel selfish for the things I have and take for granted...but I also feel that anything I could do, would be a drop in the bucket. Though, if we all contributed that "drop in the bucket", it would help...I think.

xo
Frida

Anónimo dijo...

Where is the lo-rider?