martes, julio 01, 2008

wild wild west (part 1)

this is the story of my move this past weekend (yes, post #3 in 1 day! I'm back, ppl!!):

I have a space of 3 weeks between the end of my apartment's lease and the end of my summer school job. so I decided to move in with my auntie and uncle (not in bel air, in rosedale park haha as you'll soon see) and put all my stuff in storage in the meanwhile. then I will go out to my beautiful new home in new york (see below).

so first I rented the storage. the website said "$!1 for the first month!" and I called the 800# and said "with a longer contract, right?"

guy on phone: "no, it's $1 for one month or for the first of many months, your choicecanIsignyouup?"

me: "what else do I have to pay?"

guy on phone: "that's itcanIsignyouup? oh, yes and a $15 activation fee."

me: "so $16 only?"

guy on phone: "yes,canIsignyouuprightnow?canI?canI?canI?"

me: "are you sure?"

guy: (continues in an annoying way, so I say I will go to my local location to inquire and I say goodbye, but not before he threatens that going to my local location may be difficult/dangerous/impossible and may result directly in my death, but he could sign me up right away.....)

so I go to the place and GUESS WHAT????? I HAVE TO PAY INSURANCE, TOO!!! surprise, surprise! but it's only another $7, so I was fine with that.

that settled, I needed to get help to move. for a mysterious reason (*cough*my mother*cough*) my little bros were not available to help me though I was promised the exact opposite: c'est la vie. so I made my own arrangements. I called the father of one of my students and asked him if he could bring a friend and a truck on that day and I would pay all three.

cut to sunday: the nice father shows up, with his mini-van and his son: yes!!! my-11-year-old student!!!!! then I go to shake his hand and thank him for coming and he says "excuse me" and shakes with his left, "I hurt that hand yesterday"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG!!!!!!!!! I was shitting bricks!

because I thought that I wouldn't have to lift anything! (I have arthritis, ppls! packing was enough....) but I did lift, and lift and lift... but only the light ones. the dad lifted everything with his left hand (!), even my clothes bureau made from solid wood! and the son worked like a little man, so sweet, he has always been my favorite anyway *<3*<3*

he even lifted my weighty three-person sofa with his dad, and carried it down the stairs and down from the porch and into the minivan!!!!!!!! I was away gassing my car, and they sneaked it by me!!!! because of course I would not make a kid lift a sofa!!!! but I have to admit I was more impressed than chagrined when he did! he told me proudly "I have moved 12 sofas!!"

I love this kid!!!!!!! his name is Edgar, and I told him I will remember his help forever, and I will!!!! (plus he did a lot of hard work with me this year, even tho he has a learning disablility and it is difficult for him.) (plus his smile reminds me of my youngest "baby" bro, so he is aces with me no matter what.......)

so that took about 3.5 hours and then the universe opened up and smiled on me.......


sorry, but I'm tired of typing. I'll continue this tommorow and then you'll find out why this is entitled wild wild west.

BYE

No hay comentarios.: