viernes, septiembre 16, 2005

grand-filial duty

hmmmm.....I'm planning my fall schedule and I'm very aware that I haven't visited my grandparents since last Thanksgiving. on that trip, my mom and little brothers and I all went together and it was a very cozy weekend. even though we're a few states apart, I was getting out to see my grandparents 2-3 times a year the last few years. I really wanted to do my grand-filial duty and show them how much I appreciate their support and encouragement.

"we won't be around forever, you know," as they like to put it....

and yet this year... I've been "busy." to be fair, I actually have been busy: I was in grad school before and had lots of breaks whereas now I have a new job with no vacation accrued yet (5 days after 1 YEAR!!!! what? sux~grumble).

but I also suppose I burnt myself out a bit, as every time I think about planning the next trip, I think 'scrabble? again?' (okay, it's really that my grandma kicks my a-double-ss in scrabble.)

then I read entwined 's post about her grandmother ("Days Gone By") , and it really hit home. my pop-pop was quite the tyrant in his day, too, and now he's feeble and distracted, too. it is hard to see him change from the person I once knew, even though I wasn't always thrilled by who he was. and it's hard not being able to communicate as readily with him. it reminded me what we all do mean to each other, in spite of the rough patches.

sigh. it's hard to visit, sometimes.

waah! now I depressed. just in time for the weekend.




********************************
ladies, let's hear it for the USA



*****************************************



1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

I am just making a blog related to this. If you allow, I would like to use some of your content. And with full refernce of course. Thanks in advance.

- Andre