martes, septiembre 06, 2005

sad, sad world

this nola story just keeps getting sadder and sadder. unfortunately, I think as days go by, we're going to learn more disturbing facts, instead of seeing the beginnings of a resolution to the story. to me, this is all about :

1) the lack of social capital in our society. we see it every day in the statistics on mental illness, crime rates, etc. and now we see it in a time of crisis, too. since so many poor people were in the line of this crisis, it's that much more obvious how little we're prepared to join together.

2) race/classism. honestly, of course help was not sent soon enough. of course, there were not sufficient plans in place. duh. the government (at every level) seems to be saying "why rush to help those who can't scratch our backs?" way to lead.



meanwhile, my Best Friend Ever will probably be deployed there in another day or two in her capacity with the Public Health Service. this will be her first deployment; I don't know what she'll do when she gets there, but I know she'll help people out with great caring. she will leave her two kiddies in daddy's capable hands, and go take care of some business.

as I've read in others' posts, I can't think what I can do besides send what money I can spare. it's frustrating.....

**********************
erm... happy back hair appreciation day?


status: wishing I could do more
**********************************




No hay comentarios.: