martes, septiembre 20, 2005

moral dilemma

okay, so I caught a cricket yesterday.

it was huge and cool looking and right in front of my desk. is it wrong to make a beautiful, homey, nice terrarium with lots of posh features so's I can watch it do the little cricket things? if I set it free, won't it just get eaten by a bird tomorrow? so I named it Mickey.

well, I just looked up crickets on
wikipedia and learned that I do have a cricket, not a grasshopper, and the reason it hasn't been chirping is it's a girl. I also learned that it's nocturnal and that may be why it seemed to have disappeared this morning (I thought it was hibernating under the dirt cause I didn't give it the right food or accomodations - no cable, don't you know?).

anyway, I figured I would keep the cricket (now named Adrian) around for three days, enjoying it, which won't hurt it, while I wait for you kind folks to weigh in and I could decide whether to keep it or not.

so I was looking for more information on what to feed it, when I came across
this website. AND I QUOTE:

"Crickets will eat anything, anything at all: cloth, silk, cotton, wallpaper, wood, anything they can get their mandibles around.

Once a female cricket makes it into your home, it's possible for her to lay hundreds of eggs. Since it takes almost a year for cricket eggs to hatch, an early detection is almost impossible. "


maybe it's time for little Adrian to go bye-bye.


**************************
Happy Board Game Day!
now go play some board games. go!


***********************************************

2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

set Adrian free. it's her destiny. besides that - do you really need thousands upon thousands of her chirrens running about making happy cricket lives amongst all of your possessions? so long black jacket with the yummy collar. bye bye flower rug. we'll miss you blanket for your friend that you *finally* finished only to have it devoured by your newly acquired cricket colony. . . .bye bye adrian

the lorider dijo...

yikes - NOT THE BLANKET!!!

that took me seven *(#*$&&#^$*@ years to crochet!!!!!!!

GOODBYE, ADRIAN!

(but what if she doen't get out?)