lunes, mayo 22, 2006

shut-up time

bleh! I've got the talkingest co-workers in the world!!!!! I just went to get a glass of water and the housekeeper took at least four minutes to tell me (ps-I didn't ask!) about the brand of water he's settled on at his house, why, and how much the cost has gone up, per case blahblahblah blah blah....

and sometimes in the lunchroom, there's this dude who works here who's a super-yakkety-yak-yak talker. I simply looked in his direction on Friday and he started telling me that he went out for breakfast this morning and so he really shouldn't go out all the time, he should stay in sometimes and eat the food had had brought in, after all, blahblah blah blahblahblah blah blahblah..... I understand that he's a personal trainer and thinks he needs to be friendly to everybody in case they personally want to be trained, but can he understand that I've worked here for two years and never so much as looked in the door of the gym and that when I have a book stuck in front of my face, "yes, I'm reading" and he does not need to ask me "reading?"

so to my ever-so-subtle coworkers, the old "book-in-front-of-the-face" trick doesn't work. I've heard that the best defense is a good offense, so now I'm trying offensive frowning, but I'm worried I may develop wrinkles.

what do you recommend?

ps - anyway, it reminds me of when I was a kid, and I used to say to my friend "it's shut-up time, Sharon." somehow I don't think that would go over in the corporate environment.

6 comentarios:

Shari dijo...

OOOOOOOO! Can I use "It's shut-up time, Sharon" randomly and throughout the day? Please?

the lorider dijo...

abso-smurfly! go nuts ;)

Shamus O'Drunkahan dijo...

If it was me, I would share some uncomfortable personal details. Or keep pretending to hear a phone ringing.

"Can you hear that ringing? Is that your phone? Or is that just in my head? Because my doctor says when I hear a bell that only I can hear, I should give him a call."

Anónimo dijo...

I would stare at the person in silence with a blank look on my face until they stop talking, then blast a massive belch, and go back to reading. I do this to BRITW every day, and it's quite effective.

;)

Anónimo dijo...

BTW - I totally feel you on this. I have 2 female coworkers who spend about 3 - 4 hours a day talking, as fast as they possibly can, about how they are so pissed that their boyfriends went to watch the basketball game at the bar last night, or about how cute the shoes are at Forever 21, or how her mom is not talking to her sister-in-law, or how the baby shit it's pants last night and it was stinky.
They routinely talk over each other and then gigle manically about it, and even finish each others sentences because they need to talk so badly that they cannot wait for the other person to complete their thought before starting theirs.

If they are not blabbing about purses, or their feelings (one girl starts 90% of her sentences with "I almost feel like..." , or how funny TV was last night, or the scandelous actions of all of their friends, they are busy talking about how quiet I am, and how strange it is that I am not talking a lot at work, and how it has to be because I am an only child. Little do they know that the real reason is because 1.) I am busy busting my ass working (or commenting on your blog), and 2.) I hate them.
: )

the lorider dijo...

"thanks for your support," everyone - I was beginning to think I might be a terribly anti-social smurf. I almost feel like I'm normal, now.

I'll try your suggestions - but, Shamy, what if I am actually hearing bells? lol