martes, febrero 07, 2006

holla!

I read in the local paper (luckily seeing the headline as I threw it out) that my town will be fully wirelessed by next month!!! we are one of six towns who get to try it out before our whole county is covered in 2007.

I'm so psyched!!! FREE ACCESS! and it's supposed to be fairly (?) fast (enough).

this reminds me of something I heard about how local government affects your quality of life much more than the feds (unless you're a druglord), so you should vote in your local elections, people! apparently the same is true for newspapers, but now I'll just use my new access to read the bbc and defamer from home. yay!


************************
(and it'll be so much more moral than stealing it from my neighbors - NOT Chuck!)


****************************************

2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

First off, my name is not Chuck...it's Anonymous. Anon, or Mous for short.

Secondly, I am not stealing anything from my neighbors. I am merely sharing the signals that they have voluntarily transmitted to everyone. I have 3 or 4 signals available to me at any given time, all lightning fast, and none are restricted or encrypted in any way. This makes me think that they are coming from powerful public beacons like the library, panera, caribou coffee, oakland university, etc etc. Almost every building in Rochester has a wireless setup. Private residential users concerned with security and network performance are usually smart enough to check the box that says "restrict access" in their router configuration.

I have heard the same thing about pending free wireless networks covering large areas. I dont think it is going to happen at all, or will at the very least be tied up in the court systems for a few years. One reason being that it will effectively destroy the cable and dial-up internet access industry. This industry is regulated and heavily taxed by local government, so it's hard to believe that they would support it. Nobody wants to lose that revenue base. Think about what would happen if everyone in Oakland County realized that they did not need to pay Comcast $60 a month for cable modem access anymore? All you have to do is pay $20 for an air card and it's free internet for life, without the tangled wires? Big problems for a lot of people.

the lorider dijo...

if your name is not chuck, then why are you responding?

anyways, it's already happenin'. the cities have to try to look good.