martes, noviembre 22, 2005

my job

well, as many bloggers get great blog-fodder from their jobs, I've begun thinking that I have never exploited a highly fertile field ...... and sooo.....

first off: I am a teacher. I got certified last year to teach K-5 all general subjects and Spanish and English/Language Arts K-8. I'm finishing my master's degree now, and currently looking for a teaching job. Last year, after I got certified, I decided that it would be fun to try and build my own business offering small-group Spanish classes to homeschool families. it was fun, but I didn't see it ever, say, covering health insurance costs, so I've started to send out resumes... and while I search and wait..............

I'm working as an assistant to an executive in a large family-owned business here in SE Michigan. I'm actually a junior assistant; this lady has two full-time assistants, as well as four full-time housekeepers (at different houses - duh!) and two full-time drivers. being the junior assistant means .... I do the work the senior assistant can't get to:

office-related tasks:
answering the phone
answering her correspondance
sending out invitations for dinner parties related to her board-work
moving old files and materials to storage downstairs

non-office-related tasks:
buying her grandkids birthday presents
buying her close friends birthday presents (pls note - I do not know these people. this is almost impossible; she gives me vague directives like "get something 'hot.' spend $50-60" now picture me driving back and forth to the store several times. luckily, I'm a great shopper! she sometimes gets a little green at the bargains I can find :)
keeping track of birthdays of around 120 people and sending cards
ordering and wrapping her hannukah gifts for her (large) family
sending out bar and bat mitzvah cards and gifts to her many acquaintances' kids and grandkids
sending out invitations to family parties at her house
not telling people in her family who else is invited because I'll get fired
keeping track of the RSVPs for those parties as people change their minds about attending
buying care-package gifts for her grandkids when they are at camp
signing her cards to her grandkids and mailing out the care-packs
calling her three grandkids who are in college once a week and patching them through to her
ordering her underwear
ordering her bras
ordering her clothes from New York
" from Italy
" from Vienna
" from LA
ordering her fanny packs from Florida
ordering her radio walkman with the exact type of headset
ordering her cosmetics from every high-end department store in SE Michigan and beyond
I could go on, but......why?

a friend of mine tells me that I have to read "the devil wears prada," that it is about a PA and it is just like what I tell her.... but.....why?

I live it every day, people.


************************
well, I feel like I got a lot off my chest.

hmmm..... not much left. *sigh*


****************************************


4 comentarios:

the lorider dijo...

after reading this over...
boy, am I ready for a 4-day vacation!

Anónimo dijo...

Holy jeez!! This all sounds so painful. It's like a caricature. It could be a sitcom (like The Office, a lame rip-off of a BBC sitcom with the same name). Let's see -- who should play the lorider? It should be someone who can do physical comedy. Maybe Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg) or Tea Leoni (The Naked Truth). The latter was an obscure sitcom, which rapidly went downhill. However, Leoni was very good (in the Lucille Ball tradition).

the lorider dijo...

yeah - I vote for Jenna Elfman! She has experience playing a yoga teacher and she's Lucille-Ball inspired, too!!!!

cookie monster dijo...

who could portray the lorider? well no-one could come close to her beauty and general wonderfulness so itd be unfair to compare eh? ;)

and that does sound like you earn your coin lorider12 i thought my job was bad!!!